Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rhubarb in the Fall-Is it still Good?


Someone asked me whether the rhubarb in the fall is as good as the spring, that their mom told them that the first rhubarb is the best. Well, probably so-I don't know for sure but it may be the best when it is new and not weathering through the summer elements. You can research this on one of the sites listed on the right or do a google search for that particular information.

I am still pulling, cleaning and cutting up my rhubarb. I am expecting to use it all winter. I am wondering if any of the restaurants in Alaska have "bumped up" their dessert menus with rhubarb. For that matter, have you tried this rhubarb salsa created by our local Lu Ann? I'm tellin' you, it is fabulous!

Freezing rhubarb changes its consistency (obviously) when it thaws (as does apples). Its a good idea to add a thickener to your rhubarb when making a pie, quick bread or cake. Our daughter, Leslie, made a very tasty rhubarb/blueberry/banana quick bread that was made with less butter/sugar/eggs by using flax seed, rhubarb which replaces some of the butter and less sugar. It was moist beyond belief and absolutely luscious. I will ask her for the recipe and publish it here.

My favorite dessert instead of ice cream at night-some plain yogurt, 2 T rhubarb sauce and bran cereal as a topping-it's my fiber, sweet tooth KICK before bedtime...you can also eat it as a breakfast meal. Some people like homemade granola as a topping via Ina Garten - Barefoot Contessa. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/homemade-granola-recipe/index.html

Ruby Peck-Hollembaek
PO Box 502
Delta Junction, Alaska 99737
Alaska, where rhubarb is our apple!

1 comment:

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Hi there,

Greetings from Sitka!

I made your Rhubarb Dream Bars yesterday with this year's rhubarb from my freezer. They were delicious! They are going into my permanent recipe book and may even make it onto my bakery menu. Thanks for the recipe and love your blog--keep up the great recipes.

Kris